By going through these Maharashtra State Board Class 11 Psychology Notes Chapter 2 Branches of Psychology students can recall all the concepts quickly.
Maharashtra State Board Class 11 Psychology Notes Chapter 2 Branches of Psychology
- Psychology is an important science in modern times.
- The scope of Psychology is getting wider with the emergence of new branches.
- Today, there are more than 50 branches of Psychology that help to study human behaviour from different angles.
Branches of psychology:
- Two broad areas of Psychology are Theoretical branches and Applied branches.
- In theoretical branches, psychologists concentrate on carrying out research and forming theories while applied branches help individuals to use the knowledge gained from research to solve their real-life problems.
- The extremely vast scope of psychology has led to development of many subfields.
- Developmental Psychology studies changes in behaviour from conception to death.
- Child Psychology studies biological, psychological and emotional changes in childhood.
- Social Psychology studies how a person influences people and gets influenced by them.
- Cognitive Psychology concentrates on higher mental processes like thinking and reasoning.
- Experimental Psychology attempts to understand the fundamental causes of behaviour.
- Abnormal Psychology studies unusual patterns of behaviour, emotions and thinking.
- Educational Psychology studies all factors related to education.
- Clinical Psychology studies diagnoses and treats emotional and behavioural problems.
- Counseling Psychology deals with milder behavioural problems.
- Criminal Psychology deals with motives behind criminal behaviour.
- Sports Psychology helps sportspersons to maintain their motivation and stamina.
- Industrial Psychology is concerned with the behaviour of people working in an organisation.
Careers in psychology: