By going through these Maharashtra State Board Class 11 Economics Notes Chapter 7 Unemployment in India students can recall all the concepts quickly.
Maharashtra State Board Class 11 Economics Notes Chapter 7 Unemployment in India
→ Unemployment: It is a situation in which people in the age group of 15 to 59 years though able and willing to work at the available wage rate but unable to get a job.
→ As per N.S.S.O:
As Per National Sample Survey Organisation (N.S.S.O.)
One who work for less than 14 hours per week
One who work for 15-28 hours a week
One who work for 8 hours per day or 273 days in a year
→ Concept of Unemployment:
Situation where people willing to work – but no work is available.
Situation where a person is fit and able to work but not willing to work.
Situation where a person’s capacity to work is under utilised.
Situation where all available resources used fully in most efficient manner.
→ Causes of Unemployment
- Jobless growth
- Increase in labour force
- Migration of rural population
- Excessive use of machinery
- Lack of skill development programmes
- Slow rate of economic development
- Seasonal nature of agriculture
- Expectations towards employment
→ Types of Unemployment:
→ Effects of Unemployment:
- Waste of human resources
- Difficult to implement welfare schemes
- Poverty and income inequality
- Growth of informal sector
- High dependency ratio
- Social tension and unrest
- Loss of human dignity
→ Measures to Reduce Unemployment:
- Development of agricultural sector
- Provision for alternative occupation
- Development of infrastructure
- Reforms in the educational system
- Development of Tourism
- Use of labour-intensive techniques
- Development of Information technology and communication
- Provision for vocational training and skill development facilities
- Rural industrialization
- Motivation for self employment
- Employment Guarantee Scheme (EGS)
- Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY)
- Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana (SJSRY)
- Pradhan Mantri Rozgar Yojana (PMRY)
- ‘Training Rural Youth for Self-employment (TRYSEM)
- ‘Jawahar Rozgar Yojana (JRY)
- ‘Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)
- ‘Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana 2014
- ‘National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship -2015
- Start up India Initiative
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana-(2016-20)
unemployment – state of being not working; mass- large number; gambling – playing games with intention to earn money; anti-social – against law and custom of the society; prevailing – at a particular time; hypothetical – unreal; slack season – lack of work; disguised – invisible; surplus – excess; over crowding – presence of more people in a given space; white collar jobs – administrative jobs; adaptability – adjust to new condition; capital intensive – large amount of money to run business; computerisation – doing activities/work through computer; depression- decline/slowdown; drastic – major; mismatch – differences; unprecedented – not known; abundant – available in large quantity; vocational – education relating to an occupation; compatible – suitable; aspire – aim for; dependency – seeking support / depend on; mission – target/aim, viable – achievable, advocacy – policy, aspiration – goal, cyclical – occuring in cycle.